MAYOR LEWIS SHORT BIO
Mayor John Lewis was elected as Mayor in May 2009. Prior community involvement included
serving as Co-Chairman of the Town's Diversity Task Force, Organizer of Community Interfaith
activities, and Founder of Gilbert's first "Constitution Week."
He has 30 years of private sector business experience including 20 years with Apollo Group
(parent company to the University of Phoenix) and 9 years with Ernst & Young (International
Accounting Firm). Assignments have included information technology management, leadership
development, and management consulting. He also served in a staff position with U.S. Senator
Jake Garn, in Washington DC.
Mayor Lewis earned an MBA from the University of Houston and a Bachelor of Science
(Finance) from Brigham Young University. He has been married to LaCinda for 32 years and
together they have nine children and five grandchildren. The Lewis Family has lived in Gilbert
for 27 years.
In addition to his mayoral duties, Mayor Lewis also serves on the following regional boards and
committees: Maricopa Association of Government (MAG) Regional Council, MAG Economic
Development Committee, Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport Board/Chair, Greater Phoenix
Economic Council Board, and East Valley Partnership Board.
OTHER RECENT COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP ASSIGNMENTS
- Chairman of the Board: Mesa Regional Family History Center (2003-2007)
- Board Member: Mesa Regional Family History Center (1997-2007)
- Gilbert High Seminary Board of Education Chairman (1997-2007)
- Certified Wood Badge Instructor (Adult Boy Scout training)
COMMITMENT TO FAMILY / ORGANIZATIONS
- Volunteer: Mesa Regional Family History Center
- Member: Arizona Interfaith Movement
- Sponsor: Acenda (finding domestic foster families for children in Mozambique)
COMMITMENT TO YOUTH / CHILDREN
- Adult Boy Scout Leader (23 years) including District Chairman for San Tan Scout District (5 years) and member of Wood Badge Staff
- Active participant in fund-raising for Gilbert School District Scholarships
- Organized annual drive for Christmas gifts for Arise Children
- Organized service activities for Child Crisis Center
- Foster care/Adoption advocate
- Youth basketball coach (20 years)